Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

IF YOU WERE BRAVE, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

I sometimes ask this question during motivational talks. 
And then I get emails and calls from people who act on it. They do something big and it changes their lives.

Great stories are lived by those who act BRAVELY

The enemy of BRAVERY is, of course, FEAR.

FEAR wisely listened to sometimes keeps us safe and saves us from humiliation. 

  • When I was 16, I drove my motorcycle 90 miles an hour on the wrong side of the freeway. I should have listened to my FEAR, rather than hope for the approval of friends.
  • In high school, I should have listened to my FEAR of asking the hottest girl in school to go to a dance. Sure, I was relieved and happy when she said yes, but humiliated when she danced with every guy but me.
But more often than not, FEAR intimidates us into playing it too safe. 

God tells us NOT TO FEAR over 200 times in the Bible.

Jesus says,
"Don't fear anything. Risk all. Sell all and follow me."

Knowing Jesus as I do, I know he is simply looking out for us. He is not trying to make life difficult for us if we do radically follow him. Nor does he want us feeling guilty if we don't. He just doesn't want us to live BORING lives.

Before asking  
                              WHAT WOULD I DO IF I WERE BRAVE?

you need to ask two other questions: 
  1. IS GOD THE KIND OF PERSON I CAN TRUST?
  2. IS GOD REALLY SMART?
If the answer to both of these questions is yes 
  then
you can be BRAVE


The big FEAR is death. 
If Paul is right, that to die is gain, then all the lesser FEARS add up to chump change. 

Being BRAVE may be no more complicated than thinking things through.
  • I was afraid to work as a missionary in Communist East Europe, but I wanted the adventure. I feared prison and got it, but it was a transformational experience and looks good on my resume. ALL GAIN
  • I was afraid to get married because I thought I would lose my freedom. I lost it, but gained so much more. ALL GAIN.
  • I was afraid to have children because I would be responsible to keep them from dying. We had 8 and they are nearly all adults, so, so far, so good. ALL GAIN.
I've planted several churches from scratch and started two mission organizations. 
All big risks. 
All big payoffs. 
All gain.

I know for certain that on my deathbed, I'm not going to say I wish I had taken fewer risks.

When God says DON'T BE AFRAID over 200 times, it is because he doesn't want us to miss the great, BRAVE adventure our lives can be.

Great stories are lived by those who act BRAVELY.

                     So ...
WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU WERE BRAVE?